Thursday, September 25, 2014

Literacy Dig


Doing a literacy dig is a great way for students in your classroom to remember important literacy events that impacted them throughout their lives. Students may remember inspiring people, places, or things that helped them engage in literacy. On the other hand, they may also remember not so inspiring things that led them to feel less than excited about literacy. For me, doing a literacy dig from when I was a child up until the present helped me to remember wonderful teachers, and fun activities that I did in school that helped me with literacy. I also remember less engaging assignments that teachers gave me, or books that I was forced to read. As a future teacher, I think it is important to figure out your students past literacy experiences and the strengths and challenges that they have. By doing so, you can see what their interests are and what will grab your students attention and focus. Forcing students to do activities or read books that do not interest them will not help them in the long run. As educators we should inspire children to love literacy not dread it.

No comments:

Post a Comment